What are Tutes on Tuesdays? I know that not everyone can afford professional blog design services. That shouldn’t stop you from having a blog that looks lovely, unique, and “spiffy”. On Tuesdays I offer tutorials to help you do just that.
Have you recruited some help in beautifying your blog? Or have you spent hours tweaking your design to make it just right? Either way, it would be annoying (okay, for some of us devastating) to lose all that work. That’s why it is so important to back up your blog design.
When should you back it up?
- Any time (and every time) you attempt to make a change to your blog’s HTML code.
- Whenever you make significant changes to your blog design.
- Occassionally, just for good measure.
Remember: You should back up your blog’s content every week or so. Presumably you’re not making changes to your design every week, so it’s not as important to backup your blog design quite so often.
So here’s what you do:
1. log in to your dashboard. (Why do I bother to type that? You can’t do anything if you’re not in your dashboard, right?)
2. Select “Design”, and then select “Edit HTML”
3. There’s an often-missed warning that says, “Before editing your template, you may want to save a copy of it.” It should read, STOP RIGHT HERE AND BACK UP THIS BABY BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER. (Yes, in all caps. But hey, blogger didn’t ask for my opinion.) Go ahead and select “Download Full Template.”
You may need to approve an internet download, so if you get a pop up, be sure and approve the download.
Technically, the rest is optional. But, since you’re going to want to know where that back up is, you may want to move the file out of your downloads folder. I save mine to a folder labeled “Backups”. Since you’re (hopefully) saving content backups, you may want to rename one or both of the files so you can distinguish which is which.
When you select that file, something like this will show up:
That’s the template HTML. Don’t worry, Next week I’ll tell you what to do with it!
I’ve been slowly working on a new design for RDD, which I hope to launch on May 1. Here’s a sneak peek:
And just because I think this photo is hilarious, here’s a self portrait blooper. I was trying to capture a sun flare shot (very hard to do in self portraits, by the way).
|Don’t worry, my head is still intact.|
Happy Tuesday, y’all!
More in this series: