I mentioned last Friday that there were some things that have been weighing on my heart. You guys were so supportive and encouraged me to go ahead and share my thoughts. You were also incredibly helpful and gave me great direction at how to edit video. Turns out that it’s pretty easy! Thanks especially to Megan and Rachel who were especially helpful in their recommendations!
Since I have mastered my video editing skills (not really, there’s a very awkward transition in there…sorry about that) I thought today would be a great time to bring you my vlog about being a leader in blogging.
I am warning you now, brevity is not a virtue I possess. The vlog is almost 13 minutes long. Thirteen minutes. And that’s edited! Who in their right mind can ramble at a video camera for 15 minutes straight? So if you skip it, I won’t blame you – I know your time is valuable.
But I really, truly hope you’ll listen to the video. I’m talking about popularity in the blogging community. Popularity. You know, those uber-successful, we-all-secretly-wish-we-could-be-one-of-them kind of bloggers. I took the plunge, y’all. I’m talking about that touchy subject that we all think about, but most of us just skirt around. So pull up a chair, pour a cup of coffee (all though if this were face-to-face I’d offer you tea) and let’s have some coffee talk, shall we?
For those of you who want to skip it:
- It’s really orange. I have no idea why. Poor lighting, obviously.
- I talk about big “successful” bloggers. The ones who we’ve all heard of. They speak at conferences, write books, go on cool trips, show up on T.V. and in magazines. Yeah…those bloggers. Oh and one tiny detail: they have a very large, very active following. Must be nice, right?
- I also talk about blog envy. I think it stems from being star-struck by “super star” bloggers. But it manifests itself in the constant rat race of who has more followers, most pageviews, more pins on pinterest.
- But what I really talk about is leadership. After all, if we have just one follower, that makes a leader, right? Have you ever thought of yourself as a leader in the blogging community?
- I give a challenge. A challenge to stop focusing so much on how many followers you have, and to focus instead on what kind of a leader you are.
- And I tell you to use your power for good. After all, we as bloggers have a lot of influence – a lot of power. I want to be intentional in using my power for good.
Can you tell this is something that is so important to me? I’d love to know what you think. Have you ever thought of yourself as a leader? Are you intentional in your influence? Are you using your power for good?
Be blessed, y’all. And be a blessing.
More in this series: