How to Fix Google + Account "No-Reply" Blogger

One of the most common questions I get is “How do you link your e-mail to your google + account so that you’re not a no-reply blogger?” Confession: I know nothing about google+. I’m never on it, I never post, and the only thing I know about it is that you can chat (like the old-school facebook chat!) and video chat.
Fortunately I have awesome twitter followers, and when I asked for some help on this I got a great response. Krinstina offered to share her post with you all. It was originally posted here, go tell her thanks, will you?
Hi All! Kristina here from the Streeters Unlimited, to chat with you about the problem that has taken the blog world by storm – All The Sudden “No-Reply” Blogger Status. Most of you have probably found that either other bloggers are telling you they can’t reply to your comments and “you just know you aren’t a no-reply blogger because that’s bugs the daylights out of you” or you have noticed an over abundance of comments you can’t reply to via e-mail.
So, what happened?
Turns out Google + & Blogger made the change that if you have your Blogger connected to your Google + – your email is no longer attached to comments, making you automatically a “no-reply” blogger.  I have no idea why they made the change, some say that it’s because they are trying to be proactive in helping keep your inbox filled with less spam. I’m not sure that I necessarily think that was the reasoning behind it, I’m sure it has something more to do with trying to get more people onto Google+ and connecting there socially vs. an email response. Either way, I was extremely frustrated that they just automatically made that change, even if they meant well and were trying to be proactive…call me crazy but I feel like that’s a choice that we should all be able to make as adults in the blogging community, ourselves.  But I digress.
I discovered this problem on my own blog a few months ago when I had someone e-mail me telling me I was a no-reply blogger. I didn’t have a clue what they were talking about. I was sure I wasn’t a no-reply blogger because I love the availability for people to be able to e-mail back on comment. But, the change made even more sense that I was getting less responses in my inbox from comments I had made on other blogs (which I was chalking up to it being summer & people are busy), but I did think it was weird that bloggers I knew normally were ones I responded to were now “no-reply” bloggers.
I was livid.
So where did I go? Twitter to rant. And let me tell you, I ranted and threw blogger so far under the bus.
I weighed my options of leaving my G+ connected to Blogger, or disconnecting.
I finally figured out the solution after hours of frustration and ranting!  Thank heavens!
So- If your blog is connected to Google + you will want to be paying attention to the following steps to fix this mess. And let me tell ya, it’s super easy, redundant and a bit silly – but it works, and that’s what matters the most.
Simple version:  Revert back to your old user profile (under settings – the wheel looking thing), re-create your basic profile, answer the questions (fill in Display Name).  Then go to account settings (top right corner under display name).  Click edit profile.  Select “Show my Email Address”.  Scroll down to bottom and click “Save”.  Go Back to the Blogger Dashboard. Click settings (the wheel looking thing),Click Connect to Google+ then follow the steps.  Easy Peasy.
So, although the steps are basic, I know those of you reading that are visual – someone is going to ask me for more detailed steps.  So here we have it:
Step 1: Under Settings, click Revert to Blogger Profile.
Step 2: Switch to a limited Blogger Profile.
 Step 3: Fill in Display name.
 Step 4: On Blogger Dashboard, under your display name icon, click account settings.
Step 5: Click Edit Profile.
Step 6: Select “Show My Email Address”.  Then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Save.”
 Step 7: On Blogger Dashboard, Under settings click “Connect to Google+”
 Step 8: Follow the Steps.
Done! :)
If you want to double check to make sure it works, please leave visit Kristina’s original post and leave a comment and she’ll let you know via email reply if she can, and if she can’t, she’ll leave a reply to your comment here on the blog!

1. says

I had this exact same problem when I changed my profile to google+. I searched the help sections and ended up finding a post like this telling me what to do. So frustrating.

Thanks again for following me :). I’ve been stalking your blog for a while. I LOVE your designs and will hopefully one day get a custom design of my own. :)

2. says

Thanks for this tutorial. There is one spot that I couldn’t click exactly what you said-the edit profile part. It has changed. But I managed to find this same page doing something else. Now I just need someone to tell me if what I did actually worked.=)

3. says

I haven’t connect my blog to google+ and am hesitant to do so. I haven’t embraced G+ yet … why can’t blogger just stay the way it is :)

Great tutorial, and should I need it in the future, I know where to come. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!!

4. says

Thank you thank you thank you!!

Do you know if there is a way to make your email something other than the gmail address connected to your google+? I used to have it set so that responses to my comments were sent to a yahoo address, which I prefer. But now they all go to my google. Just curious. Thanks!

5. says

6. says

I was told weeks ago I was a “no reply” blogger and I wasn’t sure what to do! I followed your steps. Can you let me know if it worked? Thanks so much!!!!

7. says

After several hours and some not so nice words, I finally found your site and your post. I could not find out why my site was a no-reply. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    I hope what I did was correct.
    Please let me know,
    Thanks again so much,

8. says

I just stumbled upon this post and I have to say that this is the second time I have had to go through and fix this because I all the sudden became a no-reply blogger. I think that Google periodically goes through and switches everyone back to not displaying their email address!

9. says

Hi, I am going to try this tutorial at some point when it is quiet in my house with no distractions. Thanks for sharing this and I hope that it works for me.
    Julie from

10. says

I do consider all the ideas you have introduced to your
    post. They are very convincing and will certainly work.

Nonetheless, the posts are very short for newbies. May you please
    prolong them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

11. says

It’s remarkable to go to see this web page and reading the views
    of all friends regarding this post, while I am also eager of
    getting experience.

12. says

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just realized this was a thing and then couldn’t figure it out. Thanks to a quick google search I found your page. <3

13. says

Thank you!! I had no idea… I will put a link of this post in my next blogpost, because I noticed a lot of my blog buddies are no-reply bloggers too.

14. says

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I struggled with this for about an hour until I found you. I will be sharing your post with other blogger friends that may not know about the switch and/or how to fix it!
    Second Grade Signpost

15. says

of course like your web-site however you have to test the spelling
    on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and
    I in finding it very troublesome to inform the reality then again I will surely come again again.

16. says

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for
    a blog website? The account helped me a applicable deal.
    I have been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided
    shiny transparent concept

17. says

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to tyis web site before but after going through some of the posts
    I realzed it’s neww to me. Regardless, I’m dewfinitely pleased I cqme across it and I’ll be
    book-marking it and checking back regularly!